1226 Wellington Street West,
Ottawa ON K1Y 3A1
The “King” was a 140 ft. wooden drill barge owned by John P. Porter and sons of St. Catherines. She was engaged in drilling and blasting to deepen the “narrows” to 27 ft. when she was struck by lightening and exploded June 26, 1930. U.S. Revenue Cutter “Succor” (CG 211) was patrolling nearby and heard the explosion and racing to the scene recovered 10 of the total 11 that survived out of a total 43 that had been on board.
The site is just north of Cockburn Island in quick current and runs from 40 ft. to 155 ft. of depth at the edge of the downstream lane of the shipping channel.
Dive site description
|Lake / river||St. Lawrence River||Official name||John B. King & Co.|
|GPS Coordinates|| N43 33.4600|
|Also known as||–|
|Access||Shore / boat||Type||Drilling barge|
|Min. / max. depth||80-150 ft +||Propulsion||n/a|
|Current||Strong||Built by / at||n/a|
|Level||Advanced||Built / lauch date||n/a|
|Thermocline||n/a||Sunk / flooded||June 26th, 1930|
|Bottom type||n/a||Dimensions||140 ft|