Built in 1759 by the French as “Iroquois”, (L’Iroqouis), at Maitland Ontario, she was captured by the British at the battle of Fort de Levis near Prescott, Ontario. She was pressed into British service under the name “Anson” and while delivering winter supplies to the lake forts she struck a shoal and wintered near Niagara Shoals at Fishers Landing. The crew wintered on the nearby island to salvage her in the spring, however it is thought she was pushed into deeper water and beyond reach by spring ice.
Iroquois remains a fragile rib cage resting near the foot of Niagara Shoal with her stern in 65 ft. of water and her bow in 80 ft. on a firm sand bottom.
Dive site description
|Lake / river||Lake Ontario||Official name||Iroquois|
|GPS Coordinates|| N44 17.2380|
|Also known as||Anson|
|Min. / max. depth||65-80 ft||Propulsion||Sail|
|Current||n/a||Built by / at||Maitland Ontario|
|Level||n/a||Built / lauch date||1759|
|Thermocline||n/a||Sunk / flooded||November 1763|