Built in 1861 and launched July 1861 at Three Mile Bay, NY as “J.B. Penfield” and sank August 17, 1889. This wooden three masted schooner (136.2 ft. x 26.2 ft. x 10.8 ft.) was renamed A.E. Vickery Feb. 25, 1884 and struck a rock while entering the American “Narrows” with a cargo of 21,000 bushels of corn destined for Wisers Distillery at Prescott, Ontario.
Normally buoyed and located along side Rock Island Reef Light, divers can follow the buoy line into a very quick surface current onto the shoal head in 25-30 ft. of water. The bow of the Vickery lies about 10-15 ft. away at a depth of 65 feet.
Dive site description
|Lake / river||St. Lawrence River||Official name||A.E. Vickory|
|GPS Coordinates|| N44 16.8210
|Also known as||J.B. Penfield|
|Min. / max. depth||60-125 ft||Propulsion||Sail|
|Current||Strong (surface)||Built by / at||n/a|
|Level||Advanced||Built / lauch date||July 1861|
|Thermocline||n/a||Sunk / flooded||August 17th, 1889|
|Bottom type||Sand||Dimensions||136.2 ft x 26.2 ft x 10.8 ft|